Saturday, April 17, 2021

Thermometer or Thermostat - Which Will You Be?



Do you know the difference between a thermometer and a thermostat? 

A thermometer measures the temperature. It doesn’t do anything about it. A thermostat measures the temperature and then responds. If the temperature is too high, a thermostat may shut off the heat. If the temperature is too low, a thermostat may trigger heat to turn on. It measures temperature and it does something about it. While a thermometer is passive, a thermostat is active. 

Sometimes I am more like a thermometer. It's good for me to know which problems I should respond to and which ones I should step back from. It’s good to know my boundaries; some problems are mine and some belong to others. 

At times, thermometers are just what we need. They size up a situation but don’t try to fix it.

On the other hand, if a circumstance requires me to respond, avoiding it because it is difficult or because I don’t like conflict may only make it worse. Sometimes I need to be a thermostat, not a thermometer. There is a time for action. A time to own the problem and do something about it. 

There’s wisdom in knowing when a thermometer is called for (time to stand down), and when a thermostat is needed (time to step up). 

Some questions worth considering are these:

If I don’t respond to this problem, is it because I don’t like conflict? Because I’d rather not be involved? Or do I intentionally not respond because my jumping in may be the wrong thing to do?

If I do respond to this situation, is it because the problem is truly mine and nothing will change until I act? Or is it because it’s just easier to do it myself instead of allowing others to struggle?

Thermometers and thermostats. Today – which will you be?

-- Steve Goodier

Image: flickr.com/creative commons