Monday, July 1, 2013

Your Invisible Compass


Image courtesy of angelalola
Two friends went out to play golf and were about to tee off, when one noticed that his partner had only one golf ball. "Don't you have at least one other ball in case yours gets lost?” he asked.

The man replied, "This is a very special golf ball. I won't lose it so I don't need another one."

His friend looked skeptical. “Really? Well, what happens if you miss your shot and the ball goes in the lake?"

"That's okay," he replied, "this special golf ball floats. I'll get it back."

"Then what happens if you hit it into the trees and it gets lost among the bushes and shrubs?"

The other replied, "That's okay too. You see, this special golf ball has a homing beacon. I'll find it – no problem."

"Okay. Let's say our game goes late, the sun goes down, and you slice it off the fairway. What are you going to do then?"

"No problem, this ball is florescent. I'll be able to see it in the dark."

His friend seemed convinced. “Wow, where did you get a golf ball like that anyway?"

"I found it."

Have you ever wished you had a guidance system like that golf ball? Who among us doesn’t know how it feels to be lost? And there are many different we ways can get lost. One of my sons, now a young man, spoke with some sadness about his teen-age years. He made some poor choices for a while. That day, while looking back at those difficult years, he commented, “I lost my way.” At one time or another we’ve all lost our way.

Have you ever wished you had a guidance system so that, when you lose your way, you know you won’t be lost for long? And the truth is – we do. We each have an inner guidance system, an invisible compass, hidden deep inside. We each have the ability to find the answers we need, to find our way in life when we’re lost – to find our way back home.

Life coaches remind us that we are naturally creative, resourceful and whole. Therefore, the best coaches don’t give answers. They stimulate our creativity and remind us that we are already resourceful and whole and can come up with solutions ourselves.

Similarly, we may pay a lot of money for psychological counseling, but, as any good counselor knows, it's not advice most of us require. So a skilled therapist will help us to find the way…by ourselves…back to ourselves. They help us look inside where we will find what guidance we need.

Call it an inner voice. Call it spiritual guidance. Call it a gift.

When I’ve lost my way or when I am confused about a path to take, I remember that most answers I need I already possess – deep inside. I am naturally creative, resourceful and whole. If I consult my invisible compass, I’ll know what to do. I think that is what author Vernon Howard meant when he said, “Inner guidance is heard like soft music in the night by those who have learned to listen.”

Can you hear the music? Are you learning to listen?

-- Steve Goodier

SHARE
this message on Facebook.

 "LIKE US" on Facebook and get a powerful quote every day on your FaceBook page.