Monday, January 3, 2011

What Are You Dreaming About?


The agricultural school dean was interviewing a freshman. "Why have you chosen this career?" he asked.

"I dream of making a million dollars in farming, like my father," replied the freshman.


The dean was impressed. "Your father made a million dollars in farming?"


"No," the student said. "But he always dreamed of it."


All right. That was corny. But at least this student has a dream, even if it is only a dream about money.


I especially like the story of a man who was discussing with his wife a trip he wanted to take to Alaska. He told her he’d always dreamed of such an adventure. He wanted to travel deep into the wilderness. He wanted to rough it. He talked about how exciting it would be to stay in a log cabin without electricity, to hunt caribou and drive a dog team instead of a car.


"If we decided to live there permanently, away from civilization, what would you miss the most?" he asked his partner.


She replied, "You."


His dream -- not hers. A better dream might include her.


This is a time of year we often examine our dreams and goals. I’ve found a couple of important questions helpful when I consider which dreams to chase and which to leave alone.


First, does my dream have deep meaning? Or put another way, is it significant and important enough to commit my time and energy toward? What will it ultimately mean if I accomplish this thing I think I want?


The second question is similar. Does my dream spring from the best that is within me? Does it come from a place of love or altruism? Will my life and the lives of those I love be better for it? My best dreams include those I love.


Does my dream have deep meaning and does it spring from the best that is within me? Take the time you need to answer these questions well and you'll find yourself pursuing something that is truly significant. When that happens, everything can change. 

Now, as you look ahead...what are you dreaming about?

-- Steve Goodier

Image: flickr.com/Guillaume Baviere